Girldrive Header

a road trip, a blog, a book

You know those hilarious Broadview Security commercials?

November 15th, 2009 · 6 Comments

Well, you should. I’ve been making fun of them for months, actually. Not only do they milk the damsel-in-distress act for all it’s worth, they always feature embarrassingly bad, tight-ass, white, preppy actors acting out embarrassingly bad burglary scenes. In short, they’re ridiculous, and lady genius Sarah Haskins is here to tell you why:

Tags: This Is Hilarious

6 responses so far ↓

• 1 aaronlove // Nov 16, 2009 at 9:44 am

AMAZING. it was always kind of funny to me that they took such pains to make sure that the burglars weren’t people of color.

• 2 Sabia // Nov 16, 2009 at 9:52 am

hilair. sarah haskins needs her own show. now.

• 3 Gretchen West // Nov 17, 2009 at 12:39 pm

Really funny. I enjoyed it. Just wanted to point some things out:

Women ARE the targets of more violent crime because criminals see them as vulnerable & as easy marks;

Women ARE more likely to be assaulted (& murdered) by men they know;

It is Broadview’s job to sell their services, they can’t accomplish it by portraying people as being 100% safe in their own homes, which, by the way, they aren’t (duh!);

Alarms do scare off criminals because criminals are lazy & look for the path of lease resistance, loud dogs are also useful:

Regarding the comments about the criminals in the ads being white, I hope Sarah isn’t suggesting that all criminals are people of color.

I am a feminist & am frequently offended by how women are portrayed in advertisements. I suggest Sarah target Kit-Kat Candybar ads if she really wants to address ads that insult women.

• 4 Nona // Nov 17, 2009 at 1:19 pm

Gretchen–totally agree that women are more likely to be assaulted and are targets of violent crime more often. Broadview just does it in the most ridiculous and fear-inducing way that’s pretty difficult NOT to make fun of.

Also, I don’t think Sarah (or do you mean aaronlove?) was suggesting that criminals are all people of color, just that ALL the people in the ads, criminal or not, seem to be white. (Although in my observation one of the broadview hunks who answers the phone appears mixed race).

Finally, Sarah DOES skewer ads like Kit-Kat’s all the time–and I have a feeling that if it’s on your radar screen, it’s on hers.

• 5 AJ // Jan 11, 2010 at 11:37 am

Hi Gretchen- Your right that women are seen as more vulnerable and are more likly to be assaulted by men they know. One or two commercials illustrating that would make total sence, but it seems Broadview has has started a rape campain with at least 5 commercials that I know of. They show the burglars making sure somone is home before they break in, which we all know contradicts reality. Watching thier commercials, you could be excused for thinking that the security system is disigned only to prevent rape and not theft. If you think these commercials are offencive to women (and they are slightly, portraying them as helpless) they are way more offencive to men.

• 6 LZ // Feb 19, 2010 at 9:43 am

I’m not suggesting that all burglars are “people of color” but I am suggesting that they are not all “European Americans” either. Can you imagine the outrage if they showed even one “person of color” breaking in to a “European American’s” house?